Black Lives Matter
We watched in horror the video of a white policeman kneeling on the neck of a black man until he was dead. Since the tragic and unnecessary death of George Floyd, we have seen millions across the country, and the world, take to the streets in the name of racial justice. From the healthcare system to the justice system, anti-Black racism has existed for centuries in our country.
Here at the School of Physical Sciences, we empathize with the pain, sadness, and anger that many are feeling and stand in unity with the Black community at this campus and beyond. We also understand that actions speak louder than words, and we vow to do our part to combat anti-Black racism. As a public university, we have the responsibility to support all our communities, including our Black students, alumni, faculty and staff. Long term-commitments with concrete steps are pivotal in addressing the problems that will combat anti-Black racism. To this end, our school plans to deliver a detailed action plan in the coming weeks. In the meantime, various events and initiatives are taking form in our school and departments and we have listed these below.
We encourage all members of the school to attend the discussions and to send any feedback and suggestions on what the school can do to combat anti-Black racism at this campus and beyond.
Upcoming Virtual Events
Becoming Anti-racist in the Physical Sciences
Presented by the UCI Department of Chemistry
Monday, June 29 at 11:00 a.m.
ESS Anti-Racism Town Hall
Tuesday, June 30 at 3:30 p.m.
Physical Sciences Black Student Mixer
Wednesday, July 1 at 10:00 a.m.
Physical Sciences Journal Club on Anti-racism and Inclusion - Kickoff event
Friday, July 10 at 1:00 p.m.
Physical Sciences Town Hall
Monday July, 13 at 4:00 p.m.
Statements and Initiatives
Particles for Justice - Physics & Astronomy
Campus Resources and Incident Reporting
- UCI Office of Inclusive Excellence
- Diverse Educational Community and Doctoral Experience (DECADE) Mentors
- List of Equity Advisors on UCI's Campus
- UCI Office of Equal Opportunity and Diversity
- UCI Cross Cultural Center
- UCI Ombudman's Office (confidential reporting)
- UCI CARE (confidential reporting)
- UCI Office of the Campus Social Worker
- UCI Counseling Center
- Reporting UCI Police Misconduct Complaints (anonymous reporting available)
- UC Systemwide Reporting of Acts of Intolerance (anonymous reporting available)
Videos and Recorded Discussions
- Racial Injustice and the Academy - Judy Tzu-Chun Wu, UCI Professor and Chair of the Department of Asian American Studies
- The Fire Next Time: Anti-Black Racism and the Struggle to Live in the United States | June 4, 2020 - UCI Office of Inclusive Excellence
- The 2%: Navigating UCI as a Black Student - Anteater TV
- The Fire This Time: Race at Boiling Point - Hosted by the UC Humanities Research Institute
- The New York Times 1619 Project Podcast Series, Episode 1: The Fight for True Democracy
- The House We Live In (documentary excerpt)
- The Daily Show with Trevor Noah - Police Brutality
- Being Antiracist - National Museum of African American History & Culture
- Blacklivesmatter - Resource Guide
- Particles for Justice resource list
- The Long Reach of Racism in the U.S. - The Wall Street Journal
- Why Are There So Few Black Physicists? - Gizmodo
To sumbit more resources please email email@example.com.